Welcome to Mortec Forums

ChevyHiPro

Staff member
Car
1976 Chevy Cheyenne 1500 P/U
Hello Chuck and welcome to the forum!
Glad you came on board!

Please feel free to post your questions on either the Hot Rodding or General Car Repair areas.
I'm sure you'll get some helpful feedback!

hurst01

Staff member
Car
1929 Buick, 1957 Chevrolet
Hello Hugh,

Just look through the forum and pick a topic that applies, or comes close to what you want to ask. If you don't find anything close, ask anyway. Just give us an idea of what you have and what you want to do. When you get your answer, don't be a stranger, be proactive and feel free to look over any posts or topics that you feel you can help others with or want to add your .02 cents on and jump in.

jimhatz28

Car
74 Z28 Camaro
Hi. My Name is Jim H. I am a original owner of a 1974 Z28.

I had it completely restored 3 years ago. I replaced the original motor with a 350 Stroker, and it became toast.

I stored the original motor and just bought a zz430 # 026. I am trying to find ALL the original paperwork that came with the engine. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks and look forward to posting some pics when its done.

bobbeck47

Car
1988 town car, 1989 caprice
crunchyg said:
Please say hello and introduce yourself.
Hey there
I'm Bob I have a 1989 Caprice and a 1989 Town Car. I just repaired those pesky torex bolts at the bottom of my steering column. It was realty lose before but now it's tight. But here comes the but I now have a catch when I turn the steering wheel. 12 little stiff spots lock to lock. I know I was missing 1 ball from the bearings and will get one later from the recycle yard. $36.00 for new is to much. Any ideas on the little stiff spots in my steering. Thanks all help greatly appreciated. bob in your debt.

Unsure

Car
1941 Plymouth
Hi guys my name is Jason and I am the most recent owner of my 1941 plymouth powered by a small block chevy. Car was built back in the 80's and has spent the last few years of its life left to rot away. The previous owner and builder passed away and I purchased it from his granddaughter. The top has been chopped, has a custom front and rear, shaved doors. It was a real looker back in its day but age has set in and I hope to bring it back to life. I actually got it to fire up and run but my lack of know how has brought me in search of assistance. Its been hard to buy tune-up and engine parts because I really have no idea what motor I have other than its a chevy v8. I hope to gather numbers tomorrow morning and get some help identifying what it is I actuall have. I have been around cars my whole life but still dont know alot about how things work, I just have a basic understanding and I hope to change that. It seems like theres alot of guys like me that know just enough to be dangerous but thats about it and that makes it hard to really gain knowledge. I hope I can gain some insight and real advice from the site and if theres anything I can provide I hope to do so. Thats about it for me, thanks for having me.

hurst01

Staff member
Car
Welcome to the forum Jason. The way most of us have learned about cars is through trial and error. If you can get some numbers from the engine, preferably the casting number of the block, we should be able to give you some information on what you have. Can you tell me if you have an electronic HEI distributor or the traditional 'points' type? Another way to get a close idea of the year is whether it has center bolt valve covers or if they are bolted to the head around the edges with 4 bolts in each one.
Nowadays, most mechanics are not able to work on the old style points systems... they are totally lost. Used to be that you could walk into a parts house and tell the counter-man that you wanted a set of head gaskets or intake gaskets for a small block Chevrolet and he would walk to the shelf and hand them to you. Now you have to show your big toe-nail and stick your tongue in your left ear to get anything. The counter person wants to know exactly what kind of car you are working on.
A couple of years back, I went into Auto Zone and told them I wanted a set of head gaskets for a 350 Chevy. The guy asked what kind of car it was for. I replied, "it doesn't make any difference, just give me a set for a late 80s engine". He again asked me what kind of car it was for? After he asked me three times I finally, with disgust, told him it was for a 1929 Buick. He got this really puzzled look on his face and pulled out a book to look up what I had asked for to begin with.
The "Parts Professionals" are taught to use the computers to look up applications and without knowing the exact make, model and year, whether it is 2 wheel drive or 4, and what color the upholstery is, they don't have a clue. A lot of them could not put in a spark plug or change a set of points if they had to.
You will find that most anything will fit your small block Chevrolet engine, almost regardless of the year, up to the late 90s. I guess I am showing my age. Anyway, I hope you will stick around and contribute, or just put your .02 cents in from time to time.

Unsure

Car
1941 Plymouth
Thanks for the welcome. My valve covers are not center bolt. I believe I have the HEI distributor as it has a flat piece or box on top of the distributor cap.

Unsure

Car
1941 Plymouth
Ipulled the wrong numbers off the block. I do not have internet where my car is and I could not remember where the drivers side numbers were. I pulled these numbers off the passenger front V04I2WA and off the side(drivers) 94465777N but I dont remember anyone saying these numbers mean anything.

Unsure

Car
1941 Plymouth
Found other numbers today 3896944. I believe I now have a 1967 283 block with an aluminum intake, 4brl quadrajet, switched over to an HEI distributor. Any of this make sense? What does this mean I have a really small v8?

crunchyg

Administrator
Staff member
Unsure, please create a new topic in the appropriate section of the forum, and someone will get back to you.

hurst01

Staff member
Car
Jason,

Sorry, been a lot going on here dealing with a couple of deaths. If that is the number on the block you have than it is a 66-67 283 cubic inch block. It certainly is not uncommon to see the older small blocks updated for better performance with an aluminum intake and HEI distributor.
The 283 came out in 1957 and was around for several years. Even though it was a fairly small Cubic Inch block, it was by no means a slouch. A lot of racers had them on the drag strip for many years and some still do because they would scream at high engine RPM and were very dependable. They didn't have the torque that the larger cubes had but more than made up for it with the high RPM because of the short stroke. With the right carburetion and cam they were certainly nothing to sneeze at. They responded very favorably to just about any modification you could throw at it.
One thing I really love about the small block Chevy is that you can get more results with less money invested. Please feel free to stick around and ask questions as they arise, or answer questions that you have answers to.

Ed

nuttbar51

Car
'76 Chevy C10 383 stroker
Hello All! I'm Matt and just bought my first truck to rebuild! Thought I'd join here to get a bit wiser about rebuilding and etc.

Unsure

Car
1941 Plymouth
Thanks for the welcome guys. Sorry about posting tech questions in the wrong section. To make up for my mistake I will post some pics. This is my 1941 plymouth. From what I can tell it was built in the 80's to look like it does now. It has sat the last few years in a field until I convinced the builders granddaughter who it was left to to sell it to me. It needs some work but I knew it was well worth it when the tow truck driver offered me 5x's what I payed for it, lol.

hurst01

Staff member
Car
Not too shabby to start out with. I love to drool over the street rods :lol:

texgking

Car
94 gmc; 61 vette
Hello from Texas. Just joined because I know I will need information and advice soon. I sent my engine to the machine shop to check it out. Everything checked good, they boiled, cleaned, put new cam bearings, freeze plugs, rings on pistons, main bearings and returned to me. It's been sitting on the engine stand now for longer than I care to admit. Heads were reworked at the same machine shop now time to assemble everything. This is not the original engine for my vette, seems to be a 69 SB 350. No hot rod, just a smooth running dependable sb.

hurst01

Staff member
Car
Hello texgking, Welcome to the forum. If there is any way we can help feel free to ask. Also, if you have any information that you might be able to help someone else out with please do so.

Latest threads