Welcome to Mortec Forums

tmoble

Car
70 Chevelle 57 Chev pickup
Hi, Tom from Chevelles.com here. Glad to see you're up and running. Any ETA for the codes DB to be up?

tom

Car
1972 corvette
Hi, just joined the forum, & for a reason. I just purchased a '72 Corvette & was told it was not the original motor. I am trying to find out just what year & H.P. it is. On the left rear of the block near firewall the # is 10066086. On the front right under the head the #1M1004 & 5vp under that is stamped. On the rear of the block it says Made in Mexico. Does anyone have an idea what the numbers mean, or know where it can be looked up???

timcasbolt

Car
1969 Rambler
Hi all. Name's obvious. Used to use this address for tracking down chevy casting numbers. Any chance that functionality will be available?

BigBoyzBadToyz

Car
1962 Chevy II
crunchyg said:
Please say hello and introduce yourself.
Hi!!!!!! I am John and were in western Ky. The home of the oldest shade tree guys with wild rides.....

semloh1950

Car
1968 chevelle 300 sport delux
hi my name is don
i am a red seal journeyman mechanic from canada with over 40 years experience

need help with your classic give me a shout

Basspow

Car
72 el camino
Old guy with original 72 el ciamino.
Want to up grade to a Ls2 or newer engine and trains. don't know where to look. Looking for help. Will need to know how to
verify engine numbers, when I find an engine and trans. Thanks,

WeedDog

Car
'99 Taurus (red-faced)
WeedDog here:

Hello. I've enjoyed reading posts here and decided to contribute questions and, eventually, answers, as I learn.

Panel Pete

Car
Too many to list...
Hello, names Pete. What ever happened to the old Mortec casting number I.D. list?

ChevyHiPro

Staff member
Car
1976 Chevy Cheyenne 1500 P/U
tom said:
Hi, just joined the forum, & for a reason. I just purchased a '72 Corvette & was told it was not the original motor. I am trying to find out just what year & H.P. it is. On the left rear of the block near firewall the # is 10066086. On the front right under the head the #1M1004 & 5vp under that is stamped. On the rear of the block it says Made in Mexico. Does anyone have an idea what the numbers mean, or know where it can be looked up???
Hey Tom,
I'll try to help with your engine numbers.
First, I'm going to ask that you look around on your engine again for the numbers.

Also, please refer to the location of the numbers as 'driver', or 'passenger' side.
That way (it's the industry accepted method of referring to engine sides) we are all on the same page as to exactly which side we're on.
Left, or Right is relative, depending on whether the describer is standing in front of the car looking at his engine, or sitting in the car referring to his engine.

The two numbers of most interest are;
- the Engine Partial VIN, it will look like; 13N132794.
In this particular case, (1) = Chevy, (3) = 1973 the model year, (N) = the build plant (vehicle), Norwood Ohio and 132794 is the unique vehicle serial number (to match against vehicle VIN).
- the Engine Assembly Code, it will look like this; V0112CLT.
In this particular case, (V) = Flint, the engine assembly plant, (0112) = date code of engine assembly, January, 12, (CLT) = engine suffix code, 1973, 245 HP, 350 cid, Z28 Camaro with manual transmission.

These numbers are hand stamped in the engine block, and the location may vary as follows, the Partial VIN Code and Engine Assembly Code could be stamped into different areas of the block; the flange edge of the rear of the block near the bellhousing mating surface, or, the rough cast area next to the oil filter and sometimes the stamping is found above the timing cover mating surface on the front of the block.

Now, for the numbers you've supplied;
- 1M1004 is a Date Code; (1) = Chevy, (M) = Flint engine plant, (1004) = October 4.
the other digits you report are under this number, 5VP appear to be part of the Partial VIN Code.
The rest may be obscured by paint, grease or whatever.
These numbers location, apparently passenger side, front, directly under the head, is an interesting location, but still probably a Date Code.

If you can find some additional numbers, please post them and we'll try to help you figure out your engine.

cobra2

Car
1928 Model A pickup
Howdy,
This is my first visit to this site. I live in the Dallas Texas area. I have as my driver a 2010 PT Cruiser. As my special interest car(truck) I have a 1928 Model A roadster pickup streetrod which I have built over the last three years. The body is almost all original sheet metal. The engine is a SBC 1956 265 ci. The trans is a '92 Camaro 700R4 and the rear is from a 2002 S10.
I have emgine vin number questions which I will pose in another postThanks tom

dump58

Car
68 el camino
Hi all, im new here and hope to gain more information for my Son and I, we're working together on our 68 El Camino

matt350

Car
Avenger Funny Car
Hi , I'm Matt , have got a junior funny car with a 350 chevy small block , will look out the numbers on it to see the spec .

ChevyHiPro

Staff member
Car
1976 Chevy Cheyenne 1500 P/U
Welcome Matt!!
Great choice for Jr Funny Car!!
Lot of great stuff available for an SBC and at affordable prices!
:D
The most important numbers are usually stamped on a pad located at the passenger side, front of the engine block, just below the head. There should be two rows of numbers.
If the block had been decked, those numbers may be partially or totally obscured.
:eek:
If the engine is an early (before 1972) assembly, the stamped numbers may be on the flange that bolts to the bell housing, usually drivers side, or in the area of the oil filter mount.

But, the bottom line, the engine is what it is!
Usually more can be learned about the engine by taking it apart!
Which you may well have done, if you built it yourself.
If you bought it from someone else, you'll have to take their word for what's in it.

Be sure to post what's happening with your Jr Funny Car!
:)

Rollin33s

Car
58 Chevy Bel Air
Hi My name is Shawn. I live in Ky, and just bought a 1958 Chevy Bel Air Biscayne. 4 door. I will be bugging a lot I am sure :lol:

KeysFlier

Car
To be determined...
Greetings from Moscow! (Tennessee, that is...)

I just found this forum while hunting for information about the various castings, bosses and holes in my SBC block. I'm knee deep in the middle of a build and the more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know...

Glad to be here.

hurst01

Staff member
Car
1929 Buick, 1957 Chevrolet
Keysfiler

Welcome to the forum. What kind of a build are you into? We are trying to make this a more diverse place to discuss engine builds, how-to's, transmissions, chassie builds and anything else that the members want to get into.

Please feel free to ask questions, toss out ideas, or just shoot the bull about your build.

hurst01

Staff member
Car
1929 Buick, 1957 Chevrolet
Hi Pete,

We are trying to make the forum more diversified with information on engine builds, transmissions, chassie work, suspensions, street rods, welding or what have you.

Please feel free to frequent the forum and if we can help out with anything or if you have a suggestion on more topics, or just want to talk about your build or things you would like to see feel free to yell and we will see what we can do.