What do I have?

Lefty

Car
68 Camaro
Hello to all, I am a new member with a need for some help, I have a 68 Camaro with a 355ci engine in it supposedly. and at some point i do believe there was block work done decking I would think and it wiped out most of the numbers on the block, what I could see theres V0113 then some blank space and an I, thats an eye not a 1. The casting number is 3956618 which i have narrowed down to 2 different engines, both with 4 bolt mains which is good if Im reading everthing right. But if anyone could help me narrow down what kind of engine it is that would be great. I cant read any of the vin number on the block that is all gone. Thanks to anyone for the help, Lefty

ChevyHiPro

Staff member
Car
1976 Chevy Cheyenne 1500 P/U
You have an interesting casting number!
:eek:
It is definitely a 1969 engine.
Your casting number, 3956618, was used to make three engines, 302, 327, 350.
The 302 was 290 HP, 4 bolt main Z-28 Camaro engine.
The 327 was 235 HP, 2 bolt main used in full size cars, Impala for example.
The 350 was 250 - 350 HP, 2 or 4 bolt main, used in various cars.

Now, if in fact your engine is 355 cid, it has been bored +0.060", the max a SBC can be bored, safely.
So, it's kind of academic what it started out life as.
:shock:
The chances are about even (from the casting number) whether it's a 2 or 4 bolt main.
Chances are, it's a 4 bolt, if in fact someone has spent the money to have it bored and decked.

The missing numbers, Engine Partial VIN and Engine ID Code would help figure out what it started out life as, but it is what it is, now.
The partial number you've given is the Engine ID Code, V0113.
V = Flint (plant where the engine was made), 0113 = January 13 (of 1969,from the casting number), what's missing here is the Engine Suffix Code, it would look like, CLJ, or CTY, so the entire number would look like, V0113CTY, for example.
The Engine Suffix Code tells the rest of the story, year, displacement, HP, car it was in, transmission.

So, without opening the engine, a safe bet is, it's a 4 bolt main, hopefully 355 cid (if it's bored) and hopefully, it will run strong for you!

Hope some of this helps!

Lefty

Car
68 Camaro
Thanks HiPro for helping, If I find out for sure I will let you know thanks again.

ChevyHiPro

Staff member
Car
1976 Chevy Cheyenne 1500 P/U
Lefty,
If you pull the heads at some time in the future, you may want to 'mike' the bore to verify if in fact, it is a 355.
The 350 cid SBC bore is 4.000", stock.
So, a +0.060" bore job would push the bore out to 4.060", 355 cid.
Even if it's been run hard and put up wet, meaning it has a 'ridge' at the top of the cylinder, the ID of the 'ridge' should 'mike' 4.060", or there abouts.
I use a 6" digital caliper from Harbor Freight Tools ($20 normally, you can catch them on sale for $10 and up) for checking various things like the bore, crankshaft main and rod journal sizes and such.
Good luck with your build and keep us informed!!
:D

Latest threads

Latest posts