Starting issues

lovn-the-mud

Car
1989 K1500
OK Guys here's my dilemma. I have an 89 K1500 with a 305 and a 5 speed and when I turn the key to the on position all my lights and gauges come to life and usually she starts right up. Sometimes tho when I turn the key to start all I get is one click and no start. I found that if I jam the clutch pedal to the floor sometimes I get it to start so I figured the neutral safety switch was bad and replaced it and I still have the problem. checked the wires and it all looks good, no burns or exposed wire. I also replaced the ignition lock cylinder so now what??

Any help would be appreciated Guys and thanks in advance.

Philip

Staff member
Car
72 Chevelle, 77 Nova
It could be that the strands of wire inside the insulation have broken from years of being flexed as the clutch pedal is pushed. Also as a test of the safety switch unplug the connector and jumper the 2 wires together. If the starting issue goes away it could be a bad switch or out of adjustment. If no change check the purple wire at the starter it should be getting full battery voltage in the start position. If that is okay remove the starter and clean the mounting area on the starter and the block. This is the ground path and should be free of paint and dirt.

lovn-the-mud

Car
1989 K1500
Thanks for the help, I did everything you suggested and when I got to the starter itself I found all the connections were dirty and starting to corrode. cleaned everything up and so far so good.
Thanks again. Fingers crossed...