Small Journal 62-67 crankshaft casting numbers

oldcarguyga

Car
55 Chevy 210
I wish to advise you that your list of Chevy Smallblock V8 Crankshaft Casting Numbers SBC Two-Piece Rear Main Oil Seals lists 4577 as a forged steel crank. That is incorrect. 4577 is a cast iron crankshaft made of modular iron ( Nodular iron: in which the graphite is present as tiny nodules of characteristic structure). Folks are selling cast cranks (4577) as forged cranks on Ebay and claiming they are forged based on your incorrect listing.
Sincerely

hurst01

Staff member
Car
1929 Buick, 1957 Chevrolet
Can you give me an instance of this listing? I just looked at one on ebay and it is a forged crankshaft. The forged crankshaft is easily identified by the forging marks caused by the forging process where they are ground off in the finishing process.
Basically, the forging marks are wide whereas the casting marks are no more than lines and are not ground off. I would think that just about anyone that knows about forgings would be able to identify a forged crank just by viewing the pictures.
I personally posted the casting numbers for the SBC crankshafts that I have had since the 60s and they should be correct. If I find it is incorrect I certainly will change it.