New member lotsa questions....

Briguy

Car
1930 Packard scratch build
Hi , I'm Brian from southern Ontario. I recently gained possession of a car from a neighbor of mine. His father started building this car over 20 years ago. Mostly from scratch. The frame I believe is from a 1927 Cadillac, the hand made body is fashioned after a 1930 Packard roadster ( with some variances ). Its been sitting in a barn untouched for 20+ years. I was informed the engine was just rebuilt before the project was indefinitely put on hold. The engine is a 1967 SBC.
The first issue I am faced with is a VIN #. As the Transportation ministry needs some form of VIN to acquire the ownership papers. Is there a vin somewhere on the frame, as someone mentioned? I looked and couldn't find much, the engine casting is 3896944, ( drivers side block just at transmission) . There's also on the intake casting the # 346260 GM K6. I couldn't locate anything stamped into the block to identify as a VIN.

Philip

Staff member
Car
72 Chevelle, 77 Nova
If the engine is a 67 and did not come originally in a performance car there will be no VIN stamped into it. There are numbers on the block just in front of the passenger side head that will help ID the what the block was originally installed in. If there is a VIN it will be in the same place.

hurst01

Staff member
Car
1929 Buick, 1957 Chevrolet
The VIN number you are searching for is stamped on the frame. Usually somewhere above the master cylinder under the floor was I recall. I would have to look at mine to make sure. When I first got my car the title had a VIN number on it and it was incorrect. They had the body style listed as the VIN number. Needless to say I couldn't get it titled but at the time all I needed was three pictures of the car and a bill of sale.
Nowadays, you can get a title through Vermont motor vehicle registration with a bill of sale. This thread is about 8 years old but if you still need information or help let me know.

Latest threads