Mystery Engine

ZachRadcliffe

Car
Chevrolet Impala
Hello! I have a little puzzle that I need some help solving! I have a 1969 Chevrolet Impala that supposedly has it's original 327 motor in it. However, I have had some people tell me otherwise and all give different answers. I was wondering if someone may help me with this predicament!

Here is the number I have and their rough locations
C 182(was told it could be a 7 instead of a 1)
This is the back of the engine on the passenger side

Next is 3970010
This is the back of the engine on the driver side

Next, we have 12W311522
This is on the passenger side behind Alternator

Next to this in the same location is a very faint V - - 20CTL (appears to have been restamped or attempted to be filed off unsure of which)

Finally, we have 01793
located on the driver side visible semi behind the water pump.

I have not attempted to locate any others but if this fails I can find more and add to try and decipher what this engine is.

I hope to hear from you soon and wish you all the very best!!!

P.S. picture included is to show FB_IMG_1607459503214.jpgengine bay

63Half-ton461

Staff member
Car
1978 Monte Carlo 383 slammed
What size balancer is on the front of the engine, 327's usually have a much smaller and narrower balancer than the 350

63Half-ton461

Staff member
Car
Next, we have 12W311522
This is on the passenger side behind Alternator ,,, shouldn't this number match up with part of the VIN ? ie a numbers match car ?

Also do you have the RPO codes from the sticker in the glove box ?

ZachRadcliffe

Car
Chevrolet Impala
Hey! Thanks for replying! And to answer your questions it is a larger pressed in the balancer. That number does not match the VIN and the original glove box door was quite rough so I couldn't get anything off of it. The son of the original owner and I was able to talk to him to find out its past! Turns out it is a 350 sbc block with a stroke of a 327 making it, in turn, a 327! Unfortunately, the original engine was beaten to none existence and this was an early 70s block change with most original parts being kept and put back onto this engine. Once it was rebuilt it was used quite a bit less till 1974 when it was taken off the road for brake problems and sat ever since!

63Half-ton461

Staff member
Car

ZachRadcliffe

Car
Chevrolet Impala
Indeed she does! And it is very possible it was turned and reused! Thank you for the great info!!! And I'll have to do some reading on the thread!!