Just what year/cid are these engines?

1977 chevy trucks

Car
1977 chevy trucks 2 of `em
Hi,I`m new here,hopingthat someone out there can help me ID apair of SBC engines I have,one is in the truck,other on stand.Engine# 1-Came out of 1986 s-15 Jimmy,that had v8 conversion.Thats no help,Iknow.Casting # on flange near bellhousing-3970010.Other # on same area-Aor H 64.Date code? Number on pad below passenger cylinder head-1{ large space-} W119659 Has drivers side dipstick. Engine#2 in truck, not original,#on pad near timing chain cover,V0216U5{or S} F.Casting # on bellhousing flange is also 3970010.Has passenger side dipstick.Any info on these engines will be a big help, I was told they are both 350`s,but I` m not so sure...Engine #1 was rebuilt at a local shop,which may explain funky casting #.THANK YOU in advance and looking forward to hearing from you guys!

hurst01

Staff member
Car
1929 Buick, 1957 Chevrolet
Hugh, from the information you have given, both engines could be anything from a 302, 327, or 350 from the years 1969 to 1980. They could both possibly be either 2 or 4 bolt main. More than likely, they are both 350 5.7L engines with a 4.000" bore and 3.48" stroke. So, what is your plan with these engines?

1977 chevy trucks

Car
1977 chevy trucks 2 of `em
I`m going to use the best one{the one out of the Jimmy,I think}in my GMC lowrider,AND keep the other for a spare,or sell it for a few $,maybe,thats why I want to know what thy are,exactly.Dont have the resources,ie cash,or skills to tear `em down.Just want to make a nice cruiser out of lowrider,with some grunt than stock,but with 3.08 gears that`ll be tough...

ChevyHiPro

Staff member
Car
1976 Chevy Cheyenne 1500 P/U
As Ed has mentioned, these engines were cast from 1969 - 1979, either as a 302 or a 350, 2 & 4 bolt mains, with the 4 bolt most common. The 350 was the most common displacement.
From the other numbers you posted, from the engine out of the Jimmy, " Number on pad below passenger cylinder head-1{ large space-} W119659 ", this is the Engine Partial VIN Code, decodes as, 1 = Chevy, W = Willow Run (vehicle assembly plant), 119659, last 6 digits of the vehicle VIN.
This number doesn't tell us much about the engine.
There should be another number stamped into the same pad or close by, this would be the Engine Assembly Code and would tell us more about the engine.
Could you clean and check that area of the engine for an additional number?
If you find it please post it in this thread and I'll see if we can make sense of it.

The #2 engine, " Engine#2 in truck, not original,#on pad near timing chain cover,V0216U5{or S} F ", now this is the Engine Assembly Code, we can learn something about this engine from it.
I'm pretty sure the actual number will be, V0216USF, you'll see why in an moment, let's decode; V = Flint, MI (vehicle assembly plant), 0216 = February 16 (date code), USF = (Engine Suffix Code) 1983,350 CID, conv.cab, M LT9 (options), 165 HP, 4 BBL, C-20 to 3500.
The Engine Suffix Codes can have numbers in them, but the numbers are at the beginning, not in the middle of the letters
So, it looks like a 165 HP 350 CID truck engine.
Now, there is a discrepancy between the Engine Casting Number and the info from the Engine Suffix Code of the Engine Assembly Code.
The Casting Number says 1969 - 1979, the Engine Suffix Code says 1983!
There is a rule of thumb about these codes that says, " . . . if there is a conflict between the coded information, the Engine Casting Number information trumps the hand stamped numbers code information".
The hand stamped number codes are exactly that, hand assembled and stamped code numbers, there possibility for errors certainly exist.
So, this engine could well have been assembled in 1973, rather than 1983.

Hope some of this helps, if you find the additional numbers please post in this thread and I'll try my best to help!
Don't be a stranger on the forum, stop in from ime to time and keep us updated on your progress with your project!

Latest threads