How to I.D. a 400 crank

Bluerod72

Car
72 Chevy nova small block
So I've got this crank and rods, was told it was a "383" crank, it looks to be a cast crank but how do I tell if its actually a 400 crank or if I got ripped off and it's actually a 350 crank, it fits in the journals of my 350 block so if its a 400 the mains have been turned down already to fit. How do I I.d. What the crank actually is? The rods I got with it measure around 5.5 center to center so I'm guessin they're 400 rods. Any help please?

hurst01

Staff member
Car
1929 Buick, 1957 Chevrolet
Bluerod,

Sorry, I have been away for a while with illnesses and a death in the family. More than likely you don't have a 400 crank but an aftermarket stroker crank with the dimensions of the 400 crank. They are very common nowadays. The rods are probably 5.7" rods that can be found in most SBC engines, they can also be aftermarket SIR rods. How they are made can tell you more. Do they have studs with nuts or bolts that hold the bearing caps on?
Most 383 aftermarket cranks are stamped with manufacturers ID on them such as "SCAT" or possibly "EAGLE", possibly even the stroke (3.75) or ????
Is it for a 1 piece rear main or a 2 piece? Look for any stampings or cast numbers on the crank.

Latest threads