Hi All

granville

Car
I ain't got a car
Hi All. new to the site. I have a 1978 c10. Can anybody help with the engine specs of my motor. the code at the starter is B 25 8 CON 2 377127 there is also an code at the distributor. FO228 GAR, the number below that is 816035( appears to have been restamped.) I know the 78 models has a intake moulded into the head.this appears not to be the case withmotor. is this strange?where engines with this modification exported to south africa?

ChevyHiPro

Staff member
Car
1976 Chevy Cheyenne 1500 P/U
From the numbers you posted,;
B 25 8 CON 2 377127 - I can't make heads or tails of this one, no idea.
816035 - this appears to be a partial engine VIN code (matching numbers!)
FO228GAR - this appears to be the Engine Assembly Code, it will decode as; F = Flint, MI (assembly plant), 0228, February 28 (date code), GAR = Engine Suffix Code, this part will tell us the vehicle it went in, HP and a few other things.
Unfortunately, I have been unable to find a listing so far for this Suffix Code.
I'll do a little more digging and post the results probably tomorrow evening.

hurst01

Staff member
Car
1929 Buick, 1957 Chevrolet
Is this a V8 or straight 6 engine? The number locations do not make sense by being by the starter and distributor unless it is a 6 cylinder engine. If it is a 6 cylinder then you have a 250 Cu in engine. I don't know of anything that Chevrolet has ever made that has the intake molded into the head.
If nothing else, can you take a picture of it and post it? Thanks,

granville

Car
I ain't got a car
Hi

Thanks for the reply guys

Yes it is an inline six. Stock standard I believe. I bought the vehicle recently. It feels VERY sluggish so I’m planning to attach a new intake with a Weber 38 or 32/36, branches and a free flow exhaust. Does anyone know whether this will give me a noticeable improvement? Or is it absolutely necessary to do the head as well. (This might not work with my budget right now)

Thanks and regards

hurst01

Staff member
Car
1929 Buick, 1957 Chevrolet
Well, this makes more sense why you can't find the numbers. A word about the sluggishness. Retarded engine timing will cause the engine to be extremely sluggish. Chevrolets like a lot of timing, even the six cylinder. In my younger days before I had a V8, I was very familiar with the six and it was extremely reliable. Even though it is not my choice nowadays, I have some fond memories of them.
The old six cylinders were bullet proof and would take some punishment. I had on old 57 Chevrolet with a six cylinder and stopped one day to refuel. With the engine still running I raised the hood and noticed the exhaust manifold was glowing red. I had never checked the timing on it. While it was still sitting there running, I loosened the distributor hold-down and advanced the timing by ear. Immediately, the exhaust manifold started changing color from a cherry red to the normal rust color.
I am old school. When I was a kid I learned to set the timing by ear because I didn't have access to a timing light or any other diagnostic equipment. I could tell when the engine was laboring at an idle. As long as the engine didn't kick back when trying to start, or spark knock when under a load I was OK.
There are those that might frown on this but in my condition it was the best I could do. Nowadays, I have a good timing light and diagnostic equipment but most of the time I never use it for my own use unless my car is computer operated. If you have access to a timing light be sure to disconnect and plug the vacuum line going to the carburetor from the advance.
What ever the specs give for the timing, you can be safe to add 3-4 degrees in the timing and it will help with the power. This is not something that you could do and still comply with the EPA requirements.

Latest threads