Head number ID help required..

GettinBetter

Car
only have engines
Hi Peeps,
I've been reading this forum for some time now, usually find the info I'm looking for and crack on...BUT stuck on this one..

I have a couple of heads #9341769, now I've checked these numbers several times and am convinced that these are the actual characters. I am familiar wit the dodgy casting numbers that LOOK like others, you know..... the 3 & 8 & 9 can be ambiguous on some castings.
Basically I build marine engines, and have identified the block & crank (as 350 SBC circa '67-'79), but want the heads ID'd to confirm HP, and decide which marine specs to use as base.

Any help would be appreciated.

GettinBetter

Car
only have engines
Update:- unable to edit last post, but between 1968- 1987'ish the hea numbers jump from 8,917,291 or so to 10,088,113 and it seems my numbers fall into that era!! So is there some sort of history thing going on there?

ChevyHiPro

Staff member
Car
1976 Chevy Cheyenne 1500 P/U
Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting!!

The Head Casting Number you've listed, 9341769, is interesting!!
For a while, I was unable to come up with anything on these heads!
After much research, I have only come up with sketchy info.
:eek:

These heads are definitely GM - Mexico Castings - probably for a GM - Chevy Mexico Crate Motor, or, replacement heads (aka, 'crate heads').
Further - the factory original heads, Head Casting number - 33417369 - are; 1990-up - 350 - Gen.I Goodwrench crate motor, "Hecho en Mexico", 76cc.
The replacement of the leading number 3, with 9, indicates these were originally manufactured as 'crate heads', replacement heads, cast and finished in the GM - Mexico plant.
:D

That was a good one!!
I'm hopeful this info helps, and don;t be a stranger on the forum!
Stop in from time to time and ask, answer or simply tell us what you up to!!
Boat, street rod, drag car, ole pick up (sorry, Lorry! ;) ), regular every day go to work car, were interested in all things engine, vehicle, or whatever!
BTW, I'm an A&P Mechanic, that is, airplane (or, is it, aeroplane!? :lol: ) mechanic by trade, got some interesting airplane engine stories to tell!

Looking forward to seeing you around the forum!

Latest threads

Latest posts