Funny casting number

hoodrostarr

Car
1979 Chevy Malibu Classic
Greeting all , I have a 1979 Chevy Malibu Classic .It was said to have been a 350 when i bought it .My friend says that it's more than likely a 305 .My new mechanic says he doesn't believe it's a 305 .We found the casting number at the top back end of the block .They are 14810207 .The only number close to this one I found has a 3rd digit of 0 (350 truck engine) .Can anyone help me identify this number ?!?!?

ChevyHiPro

Staff member
Car
1976 Chevy Cheyenne 1500 P/U
Hello and welcome to the forum!
This Block Casting Number you've posted is interesting.
First, I couldn't find it listed anywhere!
Seems this Casting Number is 'mysterious', a number of guys are looking around for info on it.
However, it seems once the backside of the block is clean and wire brushed, turns out the number is 14010207.
So, if your case, the casting number is 14010207, then here's the info; 350 CID, 1980 - 1985, 2 or 4 Bolt Mains.

Now, more telling about the engine, are the two numbers hand stamped on a raised pad, located on the passenger side, front of the block, just below where the head mates to the block.
There should be two rows of numbers hand stamped there.
If the engine is assembled, this area will typically be behind the alternator.
The numbers are usually difficult to accurately read, this area is usually obscured by grease, dirt and paint.
It will usually take some elbow grease and solvent to get the area clean enough to 'read'.
A wire brush may well come in hand also.
If you can find these numbers, and/or verify the Block Casting Number, I can possibly help more with identifying what your engine was when it hit the dealer showroom.
IF you can find these numbers and check on that Block Casting number, please post your results, I'll do what I can to find the information.

hoodrostarr

Car
Hey thanks for the quick reply .I actually didn't see the actual numbers ,.My mechanic cleaned the area and gave me the numbers .I did a little more research and found this number leads to Crusader Marine Engine company .It is identified as a 350 .I'm trying to get in touch with the manufactur ,because it is a boat engine .My mechanic said the engine doesn't act like a 305.Stay tuned folks....

ChevyHiPro

Staff member
Car
"I did a little more research and found this number leads to Crusader Marine Engine company"

Well that explains the difficullty finding the block casting number!
:eek:
Marine engines and crate engines are difficult to get much info on.
The records on those types of engines were handled special and different from the vehicle engines.
:roll:
Please be aware; the marine engines came in Left Hand Rotation and Right Hand Rotation.
This was for dual engine applications in boats, the opposite rotation cancelled torque and made the drives easier to construct.
The difference, to the best of my knowledge, was in the crankshaft, cam and distributor.
Also, there are differences in the intake manifold and the carburator.
So, if you have a complete marine engine, or a complete marine short block, have your mechanioc check those parts (as listed above) to see if they are marine parts or vehicle parts.
A full marine engine, in a vehicle, will run a little less than spectacularly!
Everything is setup to generally run at lower rpm, but constant speed fo rmarine use.

Don't be a stranger on the forum, stop in now and then and keep us informed on what your doing with your marine engine!!
:lol:

hoodrostarr

Car
Yep I guess that's because it was originally a 330 horse Crusader marine engine out of a boat! The casting number does show up as a truck block 350 .This engine was in the car when i bought about 1 1/2 years ago .I live in MS. and found it on craig's list up in Nashville ,TN and I've been driving it as a daily driver ever since .I actually drove the car 6 hours home when i purchased ,and couldn't get back quick enough to get the 350 crate motor that came with it in the barn....lol .I just found me a awesome mechanic and started doing a few things to it. But a boat engine in a car ?!?!?!? Who would have guessed ?

I

ChevyHiPro

Staff member
Car
Well, it started out a car engine in a boat!!
So, what goes around, comes around!!

I guess it's been set up to run in a car, or it would have been fun driving it 6 hours home!!
As far as the block goes, it's the same block as a car/truck engine.
The marine engines have a different internal build up as mentioned before.
One good thing about a marine engine in a car, by the time marine engines find their way to the highway, they don't have a lot of run time on them, by comparision to a typical car/truck engine of the same vintage!
So, basically, marine engines are a good source of low mileage car/truck engines!

Keep us posted on how your tug boat car is doing!
:D

hoodrostarr

Car
yeah it's odd, I had somebody trying to tell me the third digit was 0 and I was reading it wrong. nope cleaned the area good .its 8 but it has a big GM stamped right next to it....hmmmmll

ChevyHiPro

Staff member
Car
Yeah, I know what you mean.
A lot of guys try to make everything fit into their realm of knowledge.
Looking up the number, they see a similar number, but one digit is an 8 instead of the posted 0, so they automatically decide the number was read wrong.
The 0 is actually an 8.
Of course, this happens more frequently when the guy uses one source, rather than several sources.

So, are you just going to make your marine engine vehicle a daily driver, or are you gong to spruce it up some and squeeze some more HP and torque out of it?

Keep us posted on what your doing with your tug boat engine!
:)

hoodrostarr

Car
Well actually it will be 2 years in September that this car has 'been" a daily driver ! I just recently got it tuned up with new plugs and wires ,Dis Cap ,rotor botton .My carb was sitting directly on top of the intake ,so my Mechanic added a spacer (this thing is scary fast now) .I'm thinking about adding a cam ,but its pretty powerful now .Headers and true dual exhuast with turn downs are coming.Im going to run some 15x6 rally wheels in front and 15x8 in the back and lower it about 2 inches .I'm already running 15x8 rallys all around .Got post some pics for my profile photo .Stay tuned folks.....

ChevyHiPro

Staff member
Car
Sounds like the engine is running great in your car now!
I'm pretty sure you engine will have an HEI distributor, there are high energy modules for the distributor and high voltage coils (like 60 KV) that mount right on top of the distributor cap and help the combustion a lot.
Here's a link to a module;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Performace-Chev ... 0632733369

There's a lot of other ones available, about $35 - $55.
Here's link to a High Voltage Coil;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACCEL-GM-HEI-Su ... b3&vxp=mtr

Or, you could get one of these;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370774784610?ss ... 1423.l2661

It comes outta the box with all the above, plus it's all new, inside and out!
It's a 65KV high energy distributor.
I've got several of them in my engines, with no problems!
Great setup for the money!

A cam would be a great trick to add!
Chevy has a RV cam that adds torque to a 350, for pretty cheap.
I don't have a part number for it, but i have one here in the shop and maybe able to get some info off of it for you.
I'll look this afternoon and post anything that may help.
But, the el cheapo Chevy RV cam, and a set of roller tip rocker arms (about $100) with 1.6 ratio, will add a lot of 'grunt' (read torque) to your engine for very few bucks.
Also, it will give your mechanic the opportunity to change the timing chain and sprockets (not expensive, probably $35) and check that stuff for wear.

Waiting on the pictures, and keep us posted on how it's going with your build!

Louis Garcia

Car
1978 Pontiac Lemans
I have a 4 bolt main sbc as well with the casting number that looks like 14810207 as well. But I can't find information on that anywhere, and the only thing I am finding is information for 14010207 1980-85..

Latest threads