First time user here, Need help with ID'n my engine

68whiskey

Car
94 Chevy c1500
I found this on my engine block on passenger side right behind the alternator. I cant find the block stamp on drivers side behind the head.
I figured out some of it (the V) but need help with the rest and also Identifying the partial VIN. any help you can provide will be great.

V0701DMA
IBL182466

Thanks in advance,

Whiskey

68whiskey

Car
94 Chevy c1500
Ok. after much searching and using a steel brush and rag. i found what i think is the engine block stamp on the drivers side behind the head
Is what i found.

all together it should be

14016379 Engine stamp plate, behind drivers side head
V0701DMA - behind alternator, in front of and just below passenger head*
IBL182466 - *

please help decoding these numbers.

Thanks,

Whiskey

ChevyHiPro

Staff member
Car
1976 Chevy Cheyenne 1500 P/U
From the Engine Assembly Code Number, V0701DMA, it decodes as; V = Flint (engine plant), 0701 = date code, July 1, DMA = Engine Suffix Code, it decodes as, 1981, 350 cid, 190 HP, Rochester 4 bbl, Camaro.

Now, the other numbers, not sure what to make of them!
IBL182466, was this number under or close to the Engine Assembly Code?
If so, it is probably the Partial Engine VIN Code, but, it doesn't follow the normal format!
That is usually two numbers, one letter, then six numbers, like 10S437638.
Is it possible that number could be 13L82466, or some other combination for the first two digits?
The last number, 14016379, looks like a Block Casting Number, but these are usually cast into the block (raised up, not stamped in) and are located on the back of the block, drivers side.
Yep, that'd put it behind the flywheel!

If the time and patience are available to you, another look see, to check the digits closely, may show a different reading.
If so, please post again in this thread.
In the meantime, the above information from the Engine Assembly Code Number may be enough.

Good luck with your project!!

68whiskey

Car
94 Chevy c1500
all the numbers are correct. The numbers on the back of the engine are on a Raised stamp plate.
the V0701DMA and IBL182466 are the numbers located on the front passenger side just behind the alternator. The numbers are correct. I needed to order some parts and from talking to the online associate at JEGS he said the stamp numbers are from a 77-79 SBC 350 car/truck. he didnt give the main or if its a 1 or 2pc rear main seal. The IBL from what i gathered from the net reads as 1BL.... not sure if that makes a difference or not. anyhow now that i have two different years I'm getting a bit anxious since i ordered a ton of parts for a 77 SBC 350

ChevyHiPro

Staff member
Car
1976 Chevy Cheyenne 1500 P/U
I keep running into a jam with the number, IBL182466, or 1BL182466, the 2nd character is normally a number, the 1st number, 1 indicates Chevy, the 2nd number indicates the year, for example, 17L182466, would be 1 = Chevy, 7 = 77, L = Van Nuys, the six numbers would be the partial VIN of the vehicle.
So much for the numbers decoding!
:(

Bottom line, rest assured the parts you ordered should all fit, no problem.
The blocks are all the same from the very early '70's, up to '85.
The rear main will be a '1 piece' seal on all of them.
'86 is when the small block began changing, with a 1 piece seal, later models had front casting changes if it was a roller cam engine, different from a hydraulic cam engine, oil pumps and mounting were changed on some motors and mounting holes on the front were moved around.
Of course, there were other changes as well, this is just an overview.

You should be just fine with the parts you've ordered.
Enjoy your build!

Latest threads

Latest posts