Engine identification

Streetrod 1

Car
1941 Willys Coupe
I'm trying to identify an engine I was given & rebuilt to use in a street rod. I was told it was a sbc 350 out of a 1987 Avanti when Avanti builders were using Corvette engines and that the engine was always from the previous year of the car year--this being an 86 Corvette engine from a 87 Avanti. Not sure if this is in fact correct info.

The stamped number I took of the block is V018420F. not sure if the 0 is a zero or the letter"o". Plus there's a possibility the last 0F is actually a 6F--very hard to read.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

JD

hurst01

Staff member
Car
1929 Buick, 1957 Chevrolet
Can you give me the block casting number? Is it a one or two piece rear main seal? center bolt or perimeter valve covers?

Thanks, Ed

Streetrod 1

Car
1941 Willys Coupe
Can't get to casting number which I believe is in the rear of the block in the clutch area & engine is in car. Am I correct about location? It is a 2 pc rear main seal and valve covers are perimeter located.

Thanks in advance for any help.

JD

hurst01

Staff member
Car
1929 Buick, 1957 Chevrolet
OK, This tells me it is not an 86 or 87. In 86 Chevrolet came out with a one piece rear main seal and had perimeter bolt valve covers. The numbers we need are behind the head above the transmission bolt flange. The block casting number used to be on the drives side rear as I described but, depending on year, was moved to the passenger side and the engine size was cast on the block where the casting number was. If that be the case it would be some thing like 5.0, meaning 5 liter 305, or 5.7 for a 350.
I know it is hard to get to in some cases. Sometimes you can use a mirror, plumbers putty for play dough to try and get an impression. As far as the number you sent, it tells where the engine was first installed in the car. The "V" indicates the assembly plant in Flint, MI. The number "01" indicated the month of January, 8 indicates the the 8th day of the month. The other numbers are possibly from the transmission type, carburetor or other factors.
I will try to find out more.

Streetrod 1

Car
1941 Willys Coupe
I'll try getting number--one other thing --heads were double hump style, if that helps in any way.

JD

Latest threads