Custom SBC, what to use?

Wes Kennard

Car
1994 s10 blazer/ 69 nova 2dr.
I am starting a very special build with my son Britton. We are changing the engine in my 1994 s10 blazer 4dr. It currently is running a very stock 305 I put in it years ago and now Britton is showing some interest in it. I am wanting to build the motor I have to help spark his interests further. He has been doing a little homework on what he wants the motor to do and I have accumulated a whole bunch of big ticket parts, used of course, but expensive never the less. I just want to build up the blazer to be something he can say he did with his dad way back when like I have told him about my build with my dad on my 69 nova. First question I have is with the list of parts I already have (listed below) what else will I need and can I buy it on a budget? I pretty much spent most of the money i have put up for this already.

the parts I already have are:
10068036 sbc block {bare}
AFR 220cc heads
Cam Motion r2812-2811-08 grind cam
3in intake valve and 2in exhaust valve (stainless) Ferrite brand i believe
roller rockers
stock hei distributor
edlebrock 650 carb
edlebrock victor jr intake
holley dominator intake

I know I need pistons, rods, rings, bearings, gaskets, lifters, oil pump, timing chain or gears,
I just dont know what to buy specifically.

I still have to get the block machined and the heads looked at and the valves installed by a local machine shop in Conroe.

Any help or push in the right direction will be greatly appreciated by not only me but my son also, but we all know he will tell the story as if he picked out the part just the way I did with my buddies......

hurst01

Staff member
Car
1929 Buick, 1957 Chevrolet
Wes,

The casting number you gave does not come up with the information I have. The closest thing I can find is one digit off and shows as a 350. Please double check the casting number and let us know. Below is the information I found.

10066036...350...........2 or 4 Bolt Main...Target Master/Goodwrench crate motor, 2-piece rear seal

Also, look on the pad on the right front of the engine , right underneath where that alternator would go and give me the numbers that are stenciled on that pad. You will also find that not every casting number is on the list... there are marine, special crate engines and other applications that (I) may not have information on.
My main area is determining what can be done with an engine once cubic inch is identified rather than identifying what it came from. Once I get information on what you have I can better make recommendations as to what you can do with it.
Another thing you can do is grab a measuring tape and tell me if it has a 4.000" bore. We can have some fun with this.

Wes Kennard

Car
Thanks Ed, I will try to find the stencil you said. the block really is not that clean so I may have to clean a little heavy at that spot. I hope it is a 4.00in bore I will mike it to make sure.

Ok, so I have found some more numbers and it does say made in mexico.
LM03285VF
cylinder head casting is 6(3or8)417389

I hope this narrows down the possibilities a little for you.
Thanks again Ed.

Wes

Last edited by a moderator:

hurst01

Staff member
Car
Wes, I found the number 60066036. It is indeed a 350, 1986-up. Does it have a hydraulic roller cam? Should also be a one piece rear main seal. I can't seem to locate the head number, probably over-looking it.

Philip

Staff member
Car
72 Chevelle, 77 Nova
The head and valve size are really big. Are you building an all out race engine? If this is for the street the AFR 195's with 2.05" intake valve is plenty. With those heads and valves you will probably need to use offset shaft mounted rockers.

hurst01

Staff member
Car
He purchased the heads used and probably got a good deal on them. Low end torque will suffer because of the 220 runners. But, sometimes if you get a good deal on something it is hard to pass up. They will not be ideal on a street engine, especially with a tall rear end gear.
Wes, do you have any specs on the cam? I tried looking at Cam Motion web site and don't come up with anything.

Wes Kennard

Car
sorry for the late reply. I have been working alot of extra hours. I do know that on the bottom end it may suffer alot but the blazer has 4:10 gearing and I hope that it will do well on high octane pump gas. I just need information on what to pair with what I have or if it will even work at all together. I will try to see what information I have on the cam shaft it is in the garage somewhere...LOL
I will find it and post as soon as I get it.

Wes Kennard

Car
If posting pixs of what I have for heads and block will help, I can do that, I think.

Latest threads