Curious engine block number

Nightshade

Car
Chevy, 1957 3600 into 3200
Hi All,
New to this forum. Glad to find it. I have searched and searched the internet for information about a 283 engine block that I found in an old quanset hut on the small farm I grew up on. What I have is a casting number: 3756159 which tells me its a 283 from 1958 to 1961. The casting date is D809 which tells me it was cast on April 8th 1959. The assembly stamp has me all confused... it reads: N373263CAL. I believe it was a passenger car 283 built at the Norwood Ohio plant. I have no idea what the CAL mean. I did find it interesting the pistons appear to be Corvette pistions. I am under the impression Corvette 283 pistons had cut outs for the valves, while the passenger cars had flat pistions. I don't think Corvettes were made in Norwood. The block is missing the heads, oil pan, and intake manifold. As I have started to disassemble the block, it apappears to be in good shape for sitting around for at least 40 to 50 years. If anyone knows what the assembly number means, I would be grateful for it. Thanks.

Latest threads

Latest posts