Can you run a V-8 engine on just 4?

Wild Turkey

Car
99 Siverado, 49 Willys PU proj
I think I remember some cases where they ran only half the cylinders -- did they use a V-8 crank?

How was balancing changed?

(I'm not talking about the "compressors" that have half the cylinders firing and half pumping air)

Everett2390

Car
'00 Camaro SS Blk/6-spd/Leathe
Cadillac did it in the '80's, called it Fuel Mgmt.
Once up to speed, half the cylinders dropped off, every other cylinder in the firing order.

Speaking of half a V8, I remember one time adjusting hydraulic valves on a SBC.
Remove the whole side of plug wires, draped them over the carb, removed the cover,
started the engine, ran through the valve adjustment, turned engine off, replaced the cover.
Then I seen I had forgot to reconnect the plug wires before adjusting.
Always wondered why the engine was idling so very slow...

Philip

Staff member
Car
72 Chevelle, 77 Nova
I did that once to, had the cover off to replace the gasket and forgot to reconnect the wires before starting the engine, but it was a 340 Mopar engine. IIRC it has the same firing order as a Chevy V8

Everett2390

Car
In answering the OP's question, Pontiac did in the early '60's with the Tempest engine, a 4-cyl
Pontiac cut a V8 in half, and changed the crankshaft, all else stayed the same, including cylinder head.

Wild Turkey

Car
99 Siverado, 49 Willys PU proj
How different was the 4-cylinder crank from the 8?

Could a V-8 crank be lightened to run as a 4 (using only one bank) ?

I seem to remember some folks do it but can't find any references.

Everett2390

Car
Different crank as in less rods connected to it.

hurst01

Staff member
Car
1929 Buick, 1957 Chevrolet
Mind if I ask what your reasoning is? My 2011 Chevy Silverado 5.3 runs on 4 cylinders while cruising. When I was a kid it was common practice among some back yard mechanics to remove a piston and rod from the old 6 cylinder Chevy engines and block off the cylinder should they burn out a rod bearing.
I have seen people remove 4 spark plug wires from the plugs and run the engines but i can't recall which cylinders.

Craig Hanson

Car
1957 Chevy Truck 3100
I ran a Insta-Tune shop back in the late 1970's. A friend comes in a 1956 Pontiac Safari station wagon(Think Nomad) and had a 389 GTO engine with 3 deuce set up. He wanted a tune up and have it Dynoed cuz we had a Dyno. I fired it up and ran the dyno, shut it down and pulled the plug, Points, condenser, cap, rotor. I ran a compression test....A, OK.... put in new points, cond, rotor, cap Then I screwed in 4 plugs on the passenger side, hooked up the wires and said fire it up. Vacuum gauge looked weird and it was lopping along, I thought it was the 3 carbs, grabbed a screwdriver and started to reach for the carb. Jim said would it run better if you put 4 plugs in over here and hook up these wires. I said yeah, prolly will and acted like I knew what I did was normal. Got it back together and ran it on the dyno....It ran like a scared Jackrabbit. True story.