327 build

MasterG65

Car
62 Corvette
New to this forum. I am building a "new" 1962 corvette. By new I mean new Art Morrison sport rolling chassis with a new Down's Industry 62 Roadster body. I huge undertaking since I have to find body parts from all sources. Been at it for 2 years and I'm ready to get started on the powerplant. With all the options out there I've decided to go with a 327 build. What I need to know is there any engine supplier (Dart 0r others) where you can still get a 327 bare block or short block?

Thanks

hurst01

Staff member
Car
1929 Buick, 1957 Chevrolet
MasterG65,

Welcome to the forum, hope to see you around and keep us up to date on your build. The 327 was a very good engine for it's day and still is. Now for the first question. Are you interested in retaining an original factory identification number for the block? The reason I ask is this. If you don't care about the factory ID numbers (assuming you don't because you asked about engine block suppliers), all the external characteristics of the SBC are identical. Practically anything will fit anything. Without the ID and casting numbers there is no possible way for anyone to tell what cubic inch the engine actually is by looking at it.
A (not so) quick for instance: Take a 1969 327 SBC engine. This was the last year of production for the 327. It has a stroke of 3.250". Outside, who can tell the difference? It uses the same bore of the 350, 1969 was the first year for it. The 350 used the same bore of the 327 but they increased the stroke to 3.48" for added torque. Still can't tell the difference without the ID or casting numbers. The 350 is still the same engine but with the longer stroke to increase torque.
You can take that same 327 block, add an aftermarket 3.75" stroke crank with the stock 4.00" bore and you have a 377 cubic inch. Bore that block .030 with the same 3.75" stroke crank and all of a sudden you have 383 cubic inches. Everything still fits, still looks the same externally, and you have something that will pull like crazy and almost double the horsepower of the 327, all for the same money.
Perhaps I should have asked what you wanted to do with the engine with it mounted in the car? I loved the 327 engine but if originality is not a factor, you can get a lot more for the same money. Now, you might say that you have no use for that kind of power. Because it is there does not mean you have to use it, but you can give that little chuckle inside knowing that it is there. :twisted:

MasterG65

Car
62 Corvette
Thank you for the comprehensive sbc breakdown and particularly the info on the options open with that Gen 1 block. I was unaware of the possibilities. I have owned a 59 sb 283 Corvette that was a freak. 7200 rpm shift point and put down just 3 feet of rubber. Than I owned a 66 Vett that was a complete disappointment. So 40 years later I hope to build another sb monster. Ive ruled out LS type engines, and most crate engines. I want the engine builder to be close enough to where I live in the event I have to choke him. Oh yea I AM the engine builder. I may come back for more advise as the build goes on.
Thnks again
Bob Marquis
Retired USMC

hurst01

Staff member
Car
1929 Buick, 1957 Chevrolet
No problem Bob, when you get ready to do the build feel free to contact me and I can offer a few pointers.

Latest threads