305 vs 350 crankshaft

87turboGN

Car
Grand National
First, I'm new here and I have very little knowledge about building a performance car motor. I've searched the internet looking for info on finding the difference between the 305 and 350 crankshaft and spent 2 hours and haven't yet to find anyone who seems to truly know. I can't imagine this not being an ancient question but all I can find is that they are different, but no one seems to know how to tell which one is which. I have a crankshaft on my workbench but I'm not sure if its a 305 or a 350, but I know its one or the other. I don't have both to compare to each other either. Does anyone know the distinction between them? How can I tell which crankshaft I have?

phil holstead

the casting number are same but i think their weighted different. i use a fluid crank damper to be on the safe side! always on a race engine or one that's going to take a beating !!!

motormonkey

Car
1969 camaro
This is a subject I have been interested in for years and yes, there seems to be little info beyond casting number differences. However, from years of gathering data about these things, here is what I can tell you; All 305 crankshafts are made of cast iron, so if yours is forged steel, it's a 350 crank. The counter weights on the throws are going to have different amounts of weight removed either by drilled holes or shortening of the weights. I only wish I had info on the 305 crank vs a 350 in photographic form to show you, but suffice to say, larger holes/more of them means balancing more weight. Since 305s use lighter pistons this should equate to a 350 crank unless the opposite is true. There have been stories for years about 305 rods being smaller or thinner than 350 rods but I doubt this is true. All small block rods are forged steel in construction and vary only in two ways; material and thicknesses, and hardware(such as different size bolts) except the short 400 rods which are unique. I doubt seriously when they were being forged there was one bit of difference because it would be cost prohibitive. This means the only real difference in the two rotating assemblies is the pistons, which are nearly .750" larger around on 350s than 305s so you can see how much weight is involved here. Generally speaking, if you plan to use it, identify it as best you can and use the appropriate harmonic dampener that should go with your assembly. I have heard of these cranks being used interchangeably but I'm not sure if any balancing is required. My books don't say so but this seems unlikely to me. A good experienced machinist will know what to tell you about that. I hope this information helps you.

hurst01

Staff member
Car
1929 Buick, 1957 Chevrolet
I know this is an old thread but just for information, the 305 and 350 cranks are interchangeable and should have the same casting number. Both cranks have a 3.48" stroke. The only difference you might find is when they went to the one piece rear seal.
You can't go by the holes drilled in the counter-weights for identification as all are a little bit different and are drilled according to the amount of material needed to be taken off in order to balance the crank. Now, depending on whether the 350 cubic inch was high performance or not, it might have a different casting number but would still interchange.