2 or 4 bolt ID

woodhog

Car
1974 c10 fleetside
my question: Is there any way to identify whether an engine is 2 or 4 bolt mains without taking the oil pan down? my engine numbers are: block casting # 3970010, engine stampings 101127476 k11 03 CNU intake # 346250.
I saw on some engines you can ID by the number of freeze plugs, etc so it made me think that perhaps there is a way to tell on this 350. I greatly enjoy this forum and the amount of info one can learn about an engine. :D I recently purchased a 74 3/4T custom deluxe 20 Chevy. It was manufactured with a 454 engine but the previous owner sold the 454 and replaced it with the above engine and I think a powerglide I have yet to identify the trans. On top of the trans bell housing are the cast letters MD 8. any info as to where to look for the numbers on the trans would be appreciated.

hurst01

Staff member
Car
1929 Buick, 1957 Chevrolet
woodhog,

First off, the freeze plugs (expansion plugs) don't tell you anything. The block casting number is your best source of information, but even with that, the only true way to tell if it is a 2 or 4 bolt block is to make visual confirmation. Does the transmission have only to speeds? A powerglide will typically stay in first gear until around 35-40 MPH an then shift to to Drive with a major change in RPM. I can't see anyone installing a two-speed Powerglide in a 3/4 ton truck but you never know. It should have had a Turbo 350 in 74.
The information I have indicates that your engine is a 350 that came from a 1970 Chevrolet Impala, engine option L-65, 250 HP, with a 2 bbl carb and was indeed coupled to a powerglide transmission.

Latest threads