1968 engine code question.

Mike11171

Car
I ain't got a car
Hey guys,

I am looking at a 68 427 vette and trying to verify the block numbers. The front passenger side of the engine has the vin derivative as expected stamped on the block which matches the sequence of production from the vin. It does not have the other set of numbers stamped in front of the vin derivative. I have only seen pictures of blocks with two sets of numbers but I am not sure if there is not a nuance I am overlooking. All the other casting on the block look correct. Is there something I am missing or is this normal for 68?

Thanks!

ChevyHiPro

Staff member
Car
1976 Chevy Cheyenne 1500 P/U
This reply may be a little late, but here's an answer anyway;

"Beginning January 1, 1968, by federal mandate, all engine blocks would be stamped with a partial VIN consisting of a single number for the General Motors division (Chevrolet's number is "1"), followed by the same information as before; the model year, plant, and sequence number. Some plants elected to stamp partial VINs on other locations beside the engine pad (such as the rough cast area by the oil filter boss or on the bellhousing flange), most plants for most years did stamp the partial VIN on the engine pad next to the Flint or Tonawanda engine assembly date and ID letters. There is a question as to whether this date is accurate for federal mandate that engine blocks be stamped with a partial VIN. The information has been found on numerous Ford sites such as http://428cobrajet.org/id-block.html stating, "Starting in 1967 for the 1968 model year, Ford began stamping partial VIN information on production engine blocks to meet the requirements." (excerpted from 'Chevelle Stuff')

So, the number your missing is the Engine Assembly Code.
It should look something like this; "T04050DTW".
This code will tell much about the engine and it was used before the Partial VIN Engine Code was initialed.

Hope this helps!

Latest threads

Latest posts