Corvette or Camaro engine?

kinp

Car
1957 Chebi Belair
I recently bought a 1957 Chevy with what I was told it had a 1995 LT1 Corvette engine, I try looking for the vin # and on the front passanger side on the block it has stamped on the blocl V0903XHY, it may be a Camaro engine.
I cannot look in ther ear of the engine unsless I remove the hood, any suggestions?

63Half-ton461

Staff member
Car
1978 Monte Carlo 383 slammed
In my experience the info pertaining to the front pad is found in the first chapter of the factory service manual (FSM) for every GM product. They probably have one at your local GM service center, they might look it up if you ask em. or you might find a downloadable FSM online.

Any chance you can get a shoot of the back of the block with a cell phone camera held at just the right angle and a flashlight aimed at the numbers ? that's worked for me in the past.
As long as your motor dont have cast iron heads then you know its not a baby LT1 that came from a B-body.
If you lift the front of the car you could check for the #327 cast in the side of the block at the pan rail behind the starter motor.....

hurst01

Staff member
Car
1929 Buick, 1957 Chevrolet
The 95 LT1 could be one of several possibilities. If it has iron heads it is more than likely from a Chevrolet Caprice Classic, a Chevrolet Impala or Buick Roadmaster. If it has aluminum heads it can be from a Z28 or a Corvette.

Latest threads