SBC motor in a Jeep Wrangler

CaptLeeB

Car
1988 Jeep Wrangler
I bought a Jeep Wrangler that has been converted to a SBC. The only info the previous owner could give was it was a crate motor. I am having trouble getting parts at an auto parts store because they only want to look it up by year make and model.

What I do know:
There is no stamp on the pad
drivers side dipstick
cast heads w/center bolt valve covers
number on drivers side of block 3914678
number on pass side of block A168

Is there anywhere else I can find numbers?
Thanks for any help,
Lee

hurst01

Staff member
Car
1929 Buick, 1957 Chevrolet
CaptLeeB

If you will look on the drivers side of the engine between the transmission mounting surface and the head you should see the designated engine size. Since it is a center bolt valve cover it will more than likely be something like 5.0 or 5.7.
The problem with auto parts places nowadays is they hire people that don't now squat about cars other than looking them up on the computer. I went to my friendly AutoZone some time back and told them I needed a set of head gaskets for a late model Chevrolet 350 5.7 L engine. I didn't know what year the engine was but I have built enough SBC engines over the years to know that just about anything will fit anything. He insisted that he needed to know what the engine was in. Finally, I blurted it out that "The engine is in a 1929 Buick model 27-29, Does that help?" He then got out his book and pulled me a set of head gaskets.
It is really irritating that you have to practically show you big toe nail to explain to someone how to pull parts. What is it that you need anyway, perhaps I can help?

Latest threads