Really unusual engine codes

glennperth

Car
1967 Impala
Hi I've recently bought an 1967 Impala in Australia 327 chevy engine and i'm trying to get a bit more info on the car i've found all the VIN and body code stuff and they all match up to it being an 67 as does the transmission i'm up to the engine but can't find any refrence to the codes that are on it and there in diffrent locations to what alot of other websites are telling me hopefully someone will be able to shed some light as to wether this is the original engine for this car.

Engine suffix code on the block in the front right cycl head is VO412ARH
Found what -looks- like a VIN code above the oil filter first letter is very hard to make out but looks like a VKR205434
Casting code back right hand side would apear to be 14093638

Any info would be greatly appreciated

ChevyHiPro

Staff member
Car
1976 Chevy Cheyenne 1500 P/U
Hello and welcome to the forum!
From your Block Casting Number; 14093638; 1986 - 1994, 350 cid, 2 or 4 bolt main, Roller or flat tappet cam, one piece rear seal.
So, from the casting number, this is not a stock, 1967 engine!

The Engine Assembly Code; V0412ARH; V = Flint (MI), assembly plant, 0412 = April 12, date code, ARH = Engine Suffix Code.
I have been unable to decode the Engine Suffix Code, ARH.
I have found several references to that Code, all attempts to decode it!
Not sure why it doesn't show up in any of the decoders.

The Engine Suffix Code would tell what vehicle the engine was originally put in, HP, transmission type, carburation and so forth.
But, at your stage in this, that would be simply interesting information.
A 'Txx' Engine Suffix Code for this Block Casting number would indicate a Truck engine, most of those in this casting year range had flat tappet cams.
The car engines, generally had roller cams.
The roller cam engines produced more Horse Power.
So, a safe assumption, without tearing the engine down, yours is a roller cam engine.
This engine is totally capable of producing +500 HP, with the right combination of cam, heads, intake manifold, carburetor or fuel injection and possibly the addition of a 400 crankshaft to up the displacement.

I am hopeful some of this information is helpful!
Please don't be a stranger on the forum!
Stop by from time to time and keep us up to date on your progress with your '67 Impala project and what you ultimately do with your late model engine!

Uncle Ed

Car
Boat
Glennperth.....
My boat engine block is marked 14093638 and has the same mystery suffix code ARH.
Boat paper work says it is a 1988 engine with a 4bbl.
Maybe this clue will help or make sense to someone.
Ed

Latest threads