Need help to ID my Engine

63C10

Car
1963 Chevy Pickup Fleetside
Thanks!

I've got a 63 Chevy Pickup Truck with a 327/348? engine. The engine stamp code in the right front of the head is: VI0I4UA I have found conflicting data on 2 websites, one seems to indicate the UA Suffix means the engine is a 327 and came out of a C60 (2 ton?) while the other said the UA Suffix meant the engine is a 348. The heads don't have the 2 inverted dips in the bottom like pics of a 348 shows. My heads are flat across the bottom. I have the rams horn style exhaust manifolds also. I DO have the cartridge type oil filter (element in a can) that a 63 327 should have. Any one know what I've got here? (My VIN on the cab is: 3C154B119252)

ChevyHiPro

Staff member
Car
1976 Chevy Cheyenne 1500 P/U
Hello and welcome to the forum!
Apologizes for the late reply!

From the Engine Assembly Code you posted, V1014UA; V = Flint (engine assembly plant), 1014 = date code, October 14, UA = Engine Suffix Code, there are several listings for this code;
1962 327 cid Truck 185 HP RPO=408 Trans=Manual 2-BBL
1963 327 cid Truck 185 HO RPO=Base trans=Manual 2-BBL
1964 327 cid Truck 185 HP RPO=Base Trans=Manual 2-BBL
1969 307 cid Truck 200 HP RPO=L-14 Trans=Manual 2-BBL
RPO=Regular Production Option Code

These early Engine Suffix Codes are not the last word on the engine.
Up to 1972 model year, Chevy Assembly plants pretty much created their own assembly codes (along GM suggested guide lines), hand stamped these numbers on various places on the engine block (Passenger side, front, just below where the head seats, the flange where the transmission bolts up, usually on the drivers side or top and in the area of the oil filter mount or connections), then these numbers were hand recorded in a 'log book'.
Those records are not available to the general public.
For the 1972 model year, a Federal law went into effect that required all vehicle manufactures to use a standard format for engine assembly codes and a engine partial VIN code and required these numbers be stamped in the same location on all engines.
This created the 'matching numbers' coding, that restorers are so keen on.
Lastly, the Engine Suffix Codes are reused, some of them several times, by GM.

So, the rest of the story is, this information may or may not be accurate!
But it could be and probably is.
I'm pretty sure your engine is a 327.
But for sure, your engine is not a 348!
They are physically, very recognizable!
It may even be the original engine for the truck!
The Engine Partial VIN Code was not required until the 1972 model year production (see above)
There are casting numbers, raised numbers on the engine block, that will help to tell more about the engine.
Unfortunately, several of these are located on the rear, drivers side of the block.
Yep, right behind the flywheel!

Pulling a head and measuring the bore and stroke would be the fool proof way to determine exactly what size SBC engine you have in the pickup.
But, that is a little work!
If the time is available and you don't mind a little crawling and climbing around the pickup engine, there may be a partial engine VIN number stamped on it.
The pre-1972 vehicles could have the partial VIN number hand stamped in one of several places; 1.) front, passenger side of the engine block, on a raised pad, located just below where the head mounts. 2.) On the flange at the rear of the block, where the transmission mounts, on the drivers side or towards the top of the flange. 3.) On the block, around the oil filter mount.
All of this was a local option at the assembly plants.
These areas are usually caked with dirt and grease that is baked on.
It may take some solvent, a wire brush and some scrubbing and wiping to find any stamped numbers!

I hope some of this information helps!
If you do find some stamped numbers, post them and we'll see what they may tell us about your engine.

Latest threads