Chevy engine ID... Is it a`vette motor...or not?

1977 chevy trucks

Car
1977 chevy trucks 2 of `em
My buddy just purchased a 64 Impala SS,documented as an ex 409 car,now has a sbc,with centerbolt valve covers,rams horn exhaust manifolds,according to the documentation ,its a "355 cid corvette engine"{Ive never heard of a factory 355,have any of you?},but he needs to order a clutch for it,and none of the parts houses around here know which one he needs,so I figured I`d give you guys a shot with the casting #`s,so here goes...K1028CKT [front of cylinder head] 161420832 side of block,This motor has a 2piece rear main seal.Thanks in advance,Hugh.

Philip

Staff member
Car
72 Chevelle, 77 Nova
Since it is not original either a 10.5" or 11" clutch could be installed. An easy check is to look at the starter mounting bolts if a stock GM starter is still on it. Staggered bolts is 168 tooth flywheel with an 11" clutch assembly, straight across bolts on the starter is 153 tooth flywheel with a 10.5" clutch. Depending on the year and type of transmission it may need a 10 spline disc or 28 spline disc. Best thing to do is tear apart and see what you have before ordering parts.

Latest threads