305 I.D.

Ronno6

Car
1984 Chevy C10 Scottsdale
I fully understand that casting numbers would tell much of the engine identification story, but
I have not been able to find the particular bodily contortion which would permit me to see them.
Being 6'4" and 66yo does not lend itself to accomplishing this task.
So, in the hopes that someone in the know will have some engine info based on the S/N , I offer the following:

S/N K0190560

Sort of looks like a crate motor from Jan of 1990 #560, but that doesn't seem to follow the crate motor S/N pattern.

This is a Chevy 305 as "305" is cast onto the side of the block towards the front on the driver's side.
This is a 1 piece rear main seal short block, with heads that have the valve covers secured by perimeter bolts
rather than down the center of the covers.
I have not removed a valve cover to get head casting numbers as of yet.
The truck is a 1984 C10 with the "H" engine marker in the VIN.

Apparently this is a newer short block w/older, possibly original heads.

Ronno6

Car
I have learned that in 1986 the 305 and 350 w/1 piece rear mains were available w/perimeter bolted rocker covers.
That would really zero in my engine if heads are original to the block.

motormonkey

Car
1969 camaro
Well your engine most certainly was made in 87 of later because of the hardware you describe. I'm not sure when but GM began making these motors with "5.0LG" cast on them. I used to work at a dealership back in the early 90's and that was how I used to tell which was which. Does your motor appear to have this feature? it will be found on the back of the block on the bell housing flange on the drivers side if memory serves. If it is present this may clue you in to a possible build date. It would be nice to know when Chevy changed from casting the displacement in CID to Liters. Anyone know? if it is a later motor(around 89 or 90 I think) it should have a roller cam and lifters.

Ronno6

Car
Thanks for that info.
If I could see the flange yoiu indicate, I could read the casting number there and all questions would be answered.
The block does have the number "305" cast on the side ahead of the motor mount on the driver's side.

Latest threads

Latest posts