BW T-10 ID please

Maddog

Car
59 Vette
Cast Aluminum T-10

GM bell housing bolt pattern
Passenger side casting numbers T10D-1 (B) 2 (19) 62 (R)
Stamped side flange WL22-3 128940
Stamped top flange 56

Tailshaft casting T10-7D 940 R-1 3813490 9-11-62

Side cover cast 10-17-62A

I believe it must be a 1962. Is it a SUPER t-10? Any other information available as to identity?

Thanks

ChevyHiPro

Staff member
Car
1976 Chevy Cheyenne 1500 P/U
Hello maddog and welcome to the forum and thanks for posting!
:)

From the numbers off of your engine that you've posted; Passenger side casting numbers T10D-1 (B) 2 (19) 62 (R)
Stamped side flange WL22-3 128940
Stamped top flange 56
I can't even find a starting point!
:oops:

These numbers location on the engine and their sequence, doesn't fit any of the normal patterns for;
- Block Casting Number, which normally is located on drivers side, rear of the block (yep, behind the flywheel) and look like this, 330864, or this, 14101398, or this, 14101398.
Six to eight digits, all numbers, cast (raised) on the drivers side, rear of the block.
- Then, typically on the front, passenger side, on a pad that is just under the head or just over the oil filter mount, or, on the edge of the rear flange (bell housing flange), usually at the top, or around towards the drivers side some, there is hand stamped two numbers, Engine Assembly Code, looks like this, V0112CLJ usually above, and the Engine Partial VIN Code, looks like this, 13N132794, usually below.

These are the numbers that tell all about the engine.

If you could check around on the engine to see if any of these number sequences are present in any of these common areas, we can possibly help decode this engine for you.
:(

If the numbers you've listed are all there is, I'd make a detailed note of where they are located, or take pictures of the engine to show where the number are located, then stop by a Chevy dealers parts department and see if they could help decode the number for you.
:roll:

Don't be a stranger around the forum here, check in from time to time and post what's happening with your project.
:D

Maddog

Car
59 Vette
This is not from an engine, but a TRANSMISSION. Borg Warner T-10 from back in the 60's. Aluminum case. With several date stamps it appears to be a 62. Pretty sure it is NOT from a Vette.

Sorry I was not clear.

ChevyHiPro

Staff member
Car
OH!!
Different story!!
:lol:

I haven't look up much info on trannys, I just take'm to my transmission guy and tell him what I want done to'em, then pick'em up when he's done!
:eek:

I'll check around and see if I can come up with anything.

ChevyHiPro

Staff member
Car
OK!
Get your specs on and get ready to read!
:)

I've put this run down together with information I gather from several reliable sources.
I hope it helps.

The BORG Warner T10 transmission was manufactured from 1957 to 1987.
Cast aluminum units are Super-T10 models, introduced in 1966 and manufactured until 1987.

There are many different variations of the Borg Warner T10 four-speed manual transmission,
because from 1957 to 1987, every American vehicle manufacturer has used the T10.

The two major classes of the T10 are the early cast-iron unit and the cast aluminum Super-T10.
Late '50s and early '60s Corvettes used an aluminum case, while the full-size GM units from '57-'60 used a cast-iron case.
GM used all aluminum-cased units after 1960, and all manufacturers used aluminum cases up until 1974.
All of which can have different gear ratios.
Basic identification is simple.
However, determining the different gear ratios of the T10 requires the transmission to be off the vehicle.
To determine the gear ratio, count the cross-grooves on the input shaft.
Since there are many gear-ratio variations of the T10, there are identifying grooves cut across the clutch spine of the input shaft.
The groove count of the four common T10 first gear ratios are as follows:
the 2.43 first gear ratio has two grooves,
the 2.64 first gear has three grooves,
the 3.42 first gear has five grooves,
the 2.88 first gear has six grooves.
The gear ratios ultimately identify the T10 in question.
If the input shaft has 26 splines, it's a Power Brute Super 10, if the input shaft has less spline and an aluminum case, it's a Super 10.

Cars that used this transmission as an original equipment unit, were:
1957-'63 Corvette
1957-'63 Chevrolet full-size sedan
1961-'63 Pontiac, Olds F85, Buick Specials
1960-'65 Ford and Mercury full-size, except station wagon
1960-'65 Ford Fairlane, Falcon, Mustang, Mercury Comet
1963 Dodge and Plymouth V-8, except Hemi
1968-'70 AMC Rambler, Rebel, Ambassador, Marlin, and American
1971 AMC Hornet and Matador
1968-'74 AMC Javelin and AMX

Original Manufacturers specified different shift ratios for their own cars; and there were several for each manufacturer available.
Ford used a 2.73 first gear in the Falcon, Comet and Mustang models, and a 2.36 first gear in their larger cars and the Shelbys.
Chrysler used both a 2.54 and a 2.20 first gear in the 1963 production year, depending on engine size and rearend ratios.
GM also used a 2.54:1 ratio and a 2.20:1 in the Corvettes, initially, and added the 2.64:1 and 2.43:1 ratio in both their aluminum and cast-iron cased versions.
AMC used a 2.23:1 ratio as well as the 2.64:1 and 2.43:1 ratios.

The most popular version of the T-10 among enthusiasts is the Power Brute Super T-10, which was used on the 1974-'82 GM A-Body (Chevelle/Nova) and F-body (Camaro/Firebird) cars.
The Super T-10s used a 26-spline input shaft and were built to withstand the higher rpm requirements for the larger muscle car engines.
These can be easily identified on 1974 and up GM data tags as an M-18, M-21 or M-24 transmission designation.

Maddog

Car
59 Vette
lots of good information. Thanks. I went through this gearbox back in '74 and replaced all bearings, seals, gaskets and syncronizers. Checked all gears, so it is good to go. Has been hanging on the back of a fresh 327 all this time and never started up waiting to finish the car. Have engine pulled now and hanging on the hoist. Want to pull the box and check the input shaft for grooves (gear ratio) The Vette had a 3 speed when I bought it in '64. I had to make a plate adaptor for the T-10 to extend the mount holes on the tailshaft. They did not align with the crossmember. That is why I am curious at to what the tranny came from. All indications are a '62 due to several numbers on the various casting. Box, side plate and tailshaft. That would fit the criteria above. It definitely is GM since hanging on a Chev bellhousing. I installed a Hurst Super Shifter for a C-1 Vette. But the tailshaft mount holes are probably from a full size. I put a Borg & Beck Spring loaded clutch. Will really have to stand on the clutch. Diaphragm clutches back then were not as strong as today. (probably will end up changing that one day)
Maybe I can find the correct tailshaft housing, but the adaptor plate will suffice until I do. (I traded a motorcycle trailer I built for the tranny. Did not pull the gearbox, so not sure what it was from.) That was several years ago too!

Thanks for the help. Got to finish up what I started several years ago.

ChevyHiPro

Staff member
Car
Yeah!
After about 44 years I guess it's about time to finish up!!

Sounds like some exciting stuff you got to get on the road!!

Good luck with your build!!

Stop in from time to time and keep us posted on how it's going!

Latest threads